You’ve seen a special offer… Dates! On sale! Surely saved $5 on 2 boxes. But what do I do with the extra dates I have?
Dates are known as highly nutritious and are rich in fiber and carbohydrates. It also contains essential nutrients and has a high concentration of antioxidants that can benefit your cardiac and pulmonary health. The high antioxidant content of dates helps eminently with fighting cancer.
Dates also play an important role in the cultural heritage in the Middle Eastern countries. It is extremely tasty and has a higher calorie content when dried, compared to the fresh fruit. However, dates are usually bought in boxes and high volume. There are always (well, mostly) some left, and it’s regretful to throw the rest. So what do we do?
- Use dates as a base for tarts
- Combine dates with some other fruits and nuts for a khoshaf
- Add milk, some nuts and other dried fruits to dates for an energizing milkshake
- Whip a date paste as an all-purpose sweetener
- Putting date extract on your face helps prevent skin aging and the devastating action of free radicals. It offers real nourishment for dry skin and improves the elasticity of the skin while fighting against the appearance of wrinkles.
- Date palm seeds can be combined with animal food for pet consumption. Although not all animals can eat this, the fresh fruit can be eaten by camels, cattle, goats, and sheep.
NOW AREN’T THOSE IDEAS ALL USEFUL?
We cannot stress enough how healthy dates are, but here are some of it’s amazing benefits to your body:
- Dates are a high source of energy due to its high natural sugar content. Also, since it’s high in fructose, it can easily relieve hangover as it speeds up the metabolism of alcohol. So yes, you can get (a little) drunk on a Friday night.
- Dates are also high in fiber which can aid constipation. It promotes healthy and comfortable digestion especially when you also drink a lot of water.
- Dates are also high in potassium which helps in promoting your heart health. Some loving!
- A single serving of date contains about 1mg of iron. Therefore, it helps reverse anemia and compensate for iron deficiency.
- For those whose diets are on watch, dates can be too overwhelming for you as a serving of four dates can contain up to 270 calories. These gorgeous fruits are very helpful if you’re looking to bump up the weight scale.